Monday 2 March 2015

Animsquad Update

It's been a while since my last post on here so here's an update of where I am. I've finished off the ice skating shot I started though unfortunately it's still waiting on an environment and some dynamics on the skirt but it's nearly there.

Anyway here's how it looks:


I'm not a huge fan of this to be honest. It was an interesting exercise but I spent far too much time on it and I didn't really make any headway it getting any performance out of the character which was my main goal when I started the course. I regret not taking the opportunity to work on proper acting shots while I was working with a Disney animator and unfortunately I feel like the shot is just a middle of the road showreel filler rather than something to be proud of.

I didn't want to make that mistake with this one, my final shot on the course. This time I picked a funny piece of audio from The Office (UK of course) and had fun acting it out. These first shots are the original ref and blackouts and after the first meeting Marlon was quite hard on me about pushing the acting a bit more.



 So for the second version I wanted to do something more interesting with the beginning to make him seem like an arse and also try to make the change half way through even stronger by making him cave with embarrassment. Here's my next ref shot, this took a a while of playing round with different acting choices:



This is so much better and I'm glad I started again rather than try to polish and tweak what I already had.



The animation didn't actually take too long for this one I started again. I would say about 6 full days and then a few hours here and there to polish and focus on eye darts etc. I'm pleased that I'm finally speeding up a bit I've been getting worried about how long things take and whether I'm ready for production schedules but i think with this shot not only have I stepped up my work flow and timing but more importantly I've done my best piece of work yet so I'm really proud of it.

As I write this I still have 1 more critique from Marlon so it's only going to get better once I get his professional feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment